Measurement and Analysis of Quality of Service of Mobile Networks in Afghanistan – End User PerspectiveM. A. Habibi, M. Ulman, J. Vaněk, J. Pavlík
Agris on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, no 4/2016, December
Habibi, A. M., Ulman, M., Vaněk, J. and Pavlík, J. (2016) “Measurement and Analysis of Quality of Service of Mobile Networks in Afghanistan – End User Perspective", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 73 - 84. ISSN 1804-1930.
Enhanced Quality of Service (QoS) and satisfaction of mobile phone user are major concerns of a service provider. In order to manage network efficiently and to provide enhanced end – to – end Quality of Experience (QoE), operator is expected to measure and analyze QoS from various perspectives and at different relevant points of network. The scope of this paper is measurement and statistically analysis of QoS of mobile networks from end user perspective in Afghanistan. The study is based on primary data collected on random basis from 1,515 mobile phone users of five cellular operators. The paper furthermore proposes adequate technical solutions to mobile operators in order to address existing challenges in the area of QoS and to remain competitive in the market. Based on the result of processed data, considering geographical locations, population and telecom regulations of the government, authors recommend deployment of small cells (SCs), increasing number of regular performance tests, optimal placement of base stations, increasing number of carriers, and high order sectorization as proposed technical solutions.
Quality of service, quality of experience, quality of service parameters, mobile network, end user, data measurement, statistical analysis, Afghanistan.
- ATRA. (2003) "Telecom and ICT Policy", ATRA Telecom, Mar. 2003. [Online]. Available: http://atra.gov.af/Content/files/Telecom%20and%20ICT%20Policy(1).pdf [Accessed: 26 Jun. 2016]. DOI
- ATRA. (2015) "Telecom Statistics", ATRA Statistics, Dec. 2015. [Online]. Available: http://www.atra.gov.af/en/page/telecom-statistics-2013 [Accessed: 17 Jun. 2016]. DOI
- Aydin, S. and Ozer, G. (2005) "National customer satisfaction indices: an implementation in the Turkish mobile telephone market", Marketing Intelligence & Planning, Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 486 - 504. ISSN 0263-4503. DOI 10.1108/02634500510612654.
- Callet, P. L., Möller, S. and Perkis, A. (2013) "Qualinet White Paper on Definitions of Quality of Experience (2012)", European Network on Quality of Experience in Multimedia Systems and Services (COST Action IC 1003), Jun. 2013. [Online]. Available: http://www.qualinet.eu/ images/stories/QoE_whitepaper_v1.2.pdf [Accessed: 12 Sep. 2016]. DOI
- Damnjanovic, A., Montojo, J., We, Y., Wei, Y., Ji, T., Luo, T., Vajapeyam, M., Yoo, T., Song, T. and Malladi, D. (2011) "A Survey On 3GPP Hetrogeneous Networks", IEEE Wireless Communications, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 10 - 21. ISSN 1536-1284. DOI 10.1109/MWC.2011.5876496.
- Dobrota, M., Nikodijevic, A. and Mihalovic, D. (2012) "Influence of the Customer Experience on Satisfaction with Mobile Phones", Journal of Engineering Management and Competitiveness, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 69 - 5. ISSN 2217-8147. DOI
- European Commision. (2010) "Digital Agenda: Commission Measures to Deliver Fast and Ultra - Fast Broadband in Europe". European Commission, Sep. 2010. [Online]. Available: https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/news/digital-agenda-commission-outlines measures- deliver-fast-and-ultra-fast-broadband-europe-0 [Accessed: 15 Jun. 2016]. DOI
- Haider, B., Zafrullah, M. and Islam, M. K. (2009) "Radio Frequency Optimization & QoS Evaluation in Operational GSM Network", Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science San Francisco, Oct. 2009. [Online]. Available: http://www.iaeng.org/ publication/WCECS2009/WCECS2009_pp393-398.pdf [Accessed: 13 Sep. 2016]. DOI
- Iqbal, Z. (2016) "Factors Influencing the Customer’s Satisfaction and Switching Behavior in Cellular Services of Pakistan", American Research Thoughts, Vol. 2, No. 5, pp. 3713 - 3725. ISSN 2392 – 876X. DOI
- Isabona, J. and Ekpenyong. M. (2015) "End-User Satisfaction Assessment Approach for efficient Networks Performance Monitoring in Wireless Communication Systems", African Journal of Computing & ICT, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 1 - 16. ISSN 2006-1781. DOI
- Isabona, J. and Obahiagbon, K. (2014) "A Practical Optimisation Method to Improve QOS and GOS-Based Key Performance Indicators in GSM Network Cell Cluster", International Journal of Wireless & Mobile Networks, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 93-107. DOI
- ITU. (2008) "E.800: Definitions of Terms Related to Quality of Service", ITU Recommendation E. 800, Sep. 2008. [Online]. Available: http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-E.800-200809-I [Accessed: 17 Jun. 2016]. DOI
- ITU. (2015) "ICT Development Index 2015". ITU – Development, Dec. 2015. [Online]. Available: http://www.itu.int/net4/ITU-D/idi/2015/ [Accessed: 26 Jun. 2016]. DOI
- Kelif, J. M., Senecal, S. and Coupechoux, M. (2013) "Impact of Small Cells Location on Performance and QoS of Heterogeneous Cellular Networks", IEEE 24th Annual International Symposium on Personal, Indoor, and Mobile Radio Communications, pp. 2033 - 2038. ISSN 2166-9570. DOI 10.1109/PIMRC.2013.6666478.
- Khan, M. A. (2010) "An Empirical Assessment of Service Quality of Cellular Mobile Telephone Operators in Pakistan", Asian Social Science, Vol. 6, No. 10, pp. 164 - 177. ISSN 1911-2025. DOI 10.5539/ass.v6n10p164.
- Khayyat, N. and Heshmati, A. (2012) "Determinants Of Mobile Phone Customer Satisfaction in the Kurdistan Region", Journal of Knowledge Management, Economics and Information Technology, Vol. 2, No. 3. ISSN 2069-5934. DOI
- Kilaru, S. and Gali, A. (2015) "Improving Quality of Service of Femto Cell Using Optimum Location Identification", International Journal of Computer Network and Information Security, Vol. 7, No. 10, pp. 35 - 41. ISSN 2074-9104. DOI 10.5815/ijcnis.2015.10.04.
- Kim, M. K., Park, M. C. and Jeong D. H. (2004) "The Effects of Customer Satisfaction and Switching Barrier on Customer Loyalty in Korean Mobile Telecommunication Services", Telecommunications Policy, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 145 - 159. ISSN 03085961. DOI 10.1016/j.telpol.2003.12.003.
- Mason, A. (2008) "The Costs of Deploying Fibre - based Next - generation Broadband Infrastructure Analysys Mason Report for the Broadband Stakeholder Group". Sep. 2008. [Online]. Available: http://www.analysysmason.com/PageFiles/5766/Analysys-Mason-final-report-for-BSG (Sept 2008).pdf [Accessed: 15 Jun. 2016]. DOI
- Olwal, T. O., Djouani. K and Kurien A. M. (2016) "A Survey of Resource Management towards 5G Radio Access Networks", IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 1656 -1686. ISSN 1553-877X. DOI 10.1109/COMST.2016.2550765.
- Primo, N. (2003) "Gender Issues in Information Society". UNESCO Publications for the World Summit on the Information Society, Sep. 2003. [Online]. Available: http://portal.unesco.org/ci/en/ file_download.php/250561f24133814c18284feedc30bb5egender_issues.pdf [Accessed: 13 Sep. 2016]. DOI
- Ragupathi, M. and Prabu, G. (2015) "A Study on Customer Satisfaction Towards Smart Phone Users", International Journal of Applied Research, Vol. 1, No. 10, pp. 270 – 274. ISSN 2394-5869. DOI
- Sharma, R. B. (2014) "Customers Satisfaction in Telecom Sector in Saudi Arabia: An Empirical Investigation", European Scientific Journal, Vol. 10, No. 13, pp. 354 - 363. ISSN 1857-7431. DOI
- Shefali, D. and Riddhi, A. (2014) "A Study on Customer Satisfaction of Mobile Users in Ahmedabad City in Context of Mobile Number Portability", International Journal of Application or Innovation in Engineering & Management, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 446 - 453. ISSN 2319-4847. DOI
- Sheikh, M. U. and Lempiainen, J. (2013) "Advanced Antenna Techniques and High Order Sectorization with Novel Network Tessellation for Enhancing Macro Cell Capacity in DC – HSDPA Network", International Journal of Wireless and Mobile Network, Vol. 5, No. 5, pp. 65 - 84. ISSN 1741-1092. DOI 10.5121/ijwmn.2013.5505.
- Sukumar, A. (2007) "A Study of Consumers Preference and Satisfaction Towards Various Cell Phone Service Providers". Apr. 2011. [Online]. Available: http://www.scribd.com/doc/13489869/ [Accessed: 27 Jul. 2016]. DOI
- Telecoantenna. (2015) "Poor Mobile Network Coverage Explained - Weak Signal". Dec. 2015. [Online]. Available: https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/site/poor-mobile-network-coverage- explained-weak-signal [Accessed: 10 Sep. 2016]. DOI
- Vaněk, J., Červenková, E., Jarolímek, J. and Šimek, P. (2010) "State and Evaluation of Information and Communication Technologies Development in Agricultural Enterprises in the Czech Republic", Plant Soil and Environment, Vol. 56, No. 3, pp. 144 - 147. ISSN 1805-9368. DOI
- Vasundhara, S., Swarnalatha, C. and Jothimurugan, T. (2016) "A Structural Equation Model Perspective-Service Quality on Customer Satisfaction Towards Selected Indian Mobile Network Service Providers", Indian Journal of Research in Social Sciences and Humanities, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 504 - 517. ISSN 2249-7315. DOI 10.5958/2249-7315.2016.00132.5.
- Vondra, M. and Becvar, Z. (2016) "Distance-Based Neighborhood Scanning for Handover Purposes in Network with Small Cells", IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 65, No. 2, pp. 883 - 895. ISSN 1939-9359. DOI 10.1109/TVT.2015.2402753.
- Wang, Y. and Lo, H. (2002) "Service Quality, Customer Satisfaction and Behavior Intentions: Evidence from China’s Telecommunication Industry", info, Vol. 4, No. 6, pp. 50 - 60. ISSN 1463-6697. DOI 10.1108/14636690210453406.
- Woo, K.S. and Fock, H. K. Y. (1999) "Customer Satisfaction in the Hong Kong Mobile Phone Industry", The Service Industries Journal, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 162 - 174. ISSN 1743-9507. DOI 10.1080/02642069900000035.