Aqua Site Classification Using Neural Network ModelsN. Deepa, K. Ganesan
Agris on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, no 4/2016, December
Deepa, N. and Ganesan, K. (2016) “Aqua Site Classification Using Neural Network Models", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 51 - 58. ISSN 1804-1930.
India being one of the major producers of fish contributes 5.5 percent of global fish production and ranks second in the world after China. The production of aquaculture mainly depends on the quality of land selected for aqua farming. Neural Network algorithms have been applied to classify the aquaculture sites based on 6 input variables viz., water, soil, support, infrastructure, input and risk factor. An artificial neural network (ANN) consists of huge number of interconnected elements called neurons that work together to solve a specific problem. An Artificial Neural network can be used for classification, prediction, pattern recognition etc., through a learning process. In this paper, the models were constructed using three Neural Network algorithms viz., Back Propagation Network (BPN), Radial Basis Function (RBF) and Linear Vector Quantization (LVQ). The models classify each aquaculture site into 3 classes viz., suitable, moderate and unsuitable. From the results of the three models, it has been found that Radial Basis Function model not only gives accurate results but also time taken for training the dataset is less when compared with the other two Neural Network models. The results obtained from the neural network models were validated with the results of the fuzzy model.
Neural Networks, Aquaculture, Land Classification, Back Propagation Network, Radial Basis Function, Linear Vector Quantization.
- Boyd, C. E. and Clay, J. W. (1998) "Shrimp aquaculture and the environment", Scientific American, Vol. 278, No. 6, pp. 58-65. ISSN 0036-8733. DOI
- Broomhead, D. S., and Lowe, D. (1988) "Multi-variable functional interpolation and adaptive networks", Complex Systems, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 321-355. ISSN 0891-2513. DOI
- Bryson, A. E. and Ho, Y.-Ch. (1969) "Applied Optimal Control", Blaisdell Publishing Co., USA. ISBN 0891162283. DOI
- Changhui, D., Yanping, G., Jun, G., Xinying, M. and Songsong, L. (2010) "Research on the Growth Model of Aquaculture organisms based on Neural Network Expert System", Sixth International Conference on Natural Computation, pp. 1812-1815. ISBN 978-1-4244-5961-2. DOI
- Hajek, F. and Boyd, C. E. (1994) "Rating soil and water information for aquaculture", Aquaculture Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 115-128. ISSN 0144-8609. DOI 10.1016/0144-8609(94)90009-4.
- Konecny, V., Trenz, O. and Svobodova, E. (2010) "Classification of companies with the assistance of self-learning neural net¬works", Agricultural Economics, Vol. 56, No.2, pp. 51–58. ISSN 1805-9295. DOI
- Mahalakshmi, P. and Ganesan, K. (2009) "Mahalanobis Taguchi System based variables selection for shrimp aquaculture development", Computers and Electronics in Argiculture, Vol. 65, No. 2, pp. 192-197. ISSN 0168-1699. DOI 10.1016/j.compag.2008.09.003.
- Mahalakshmi, P. and Ganesan, K. (2013) "Application of rank sum, TOPSIS and pair-wise comparison methods for prioritising aquaculture sites", Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 60, No. 3, pp. 55-58. ISSN 0970-6011. DOI
- Mahalakshmi, P. and Ganesan, K. (2013) "Decision Making Models for aquaculture farming development", Today and Tomorrow’s Printers and Publishers, New Delhi. ISBN 9788170194699. DOI
- Mahalakshmi, P. and Ganesan, K. (2015) "Mamdani fuzzy rule based model to classify sites for aquaculture development", Indian Journal of Fisheries, Vol. 62, No. 1, pp. 110-115. ISSN 0970-6011. DOI
- McKindsey, C. W., Thetmeyer, H., Landry, T. and Silvert, W. (2006) "Review of recent carrying capacity models for bivalve culture and recommendations for research and management", Aquaculture, Vol. 261, No. 2, pp. 451-462. ISSN 0044-8486. DOI 10.1016/j.aquaculture.2006.06.044.
- Min, S., Ji, Ch,, Daoliang, L, (2012) "Water Temperature Prediction in Sea Cucumber Aquaculture Ponds by RBF Neural Network Model", Proceedings of the International Conference on Systems and Informatics, pp. 1154-1159. ISBN 978-1-4673-0197-8. DOI
- Nath, S. S., Bolte, J. P., Ross, L. G. and Aguilar-Manjarrez, J. (2000) "Applications of geographical information systems (GIS) for spatial decision support in aquaculture", Aquaculture Engineering, Vol. 23, No. 1-3, pp. 233–278. ISSN 0144-8609. DOI 10.1016/S0144-8609(00)00051-0.
- Svoboda, E. (2007) "Knowledge-management in managerial work of business management", Agricultural Economics, Vol. 53, No. 7, pp. 298–303. ISSN 1805-9295. DOI
- Zhang J., Li, X. Y., Wang, W., Zhou, Z. (2009) "Determination of Freshness of Freshwater Fish based on BP-ANN and Bio-impedance Characteristics", Global Congress on Intelligent Systems, IEEE, pp. 68-71. ISSN 2155-6083. ISBN 978-0-7695-3571-5. DOI 10.1109/GCIS.2009.39.