Convergence of Market Concentration: Evidence from Czech Food Processing SectorsI. Blažková
Agris on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, no 4/2016, December
Blažková, I. (2016) “Convergence of Market Concentration: Evidence from Czech Food Processing Sectors", AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 25 - 36. ISSN 1804-1930.
The aim of the paper is to evaluate the market concentration in the Czech food and beverages industry over the period of 2003-2014, to quantify disparities among particular sectors and to investigate the trend of market concentration. The concept of convergence is applied when investigating the trend in the long term. The market concentration in the Czech food and beverages industry has increased on average. In sectors with relatively low market concentration in 2003, the values of concentration increased more rapidly after 2003. On the contrary, the most concentrated sectors tend to change slowly over time and the concentration in some sectors even declined. On the basis of the absolute β-convergence model estimation, it was concluded that there is a trend for convergence of the market concentration in the long run to one and the same point for all sectors of the industry.
Market concentration, food and beverages industry, concept of convergence.
- Bečvářová, V. (2007) “Shaping agribusiness and its impact on the competitive environment of agricultural enterprises”, IAAE-104th EAAE Seminar – Agricultural Economics and Transition: What was expected, what we observed, the lessons learned, September 6-8, Corvinus University of Budapest, Budapest, Hungary [Online]. Available: http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstream/7824/1/ sp07be01.pdf [Accessed: 25 October 2016]. DOI
- Bisnode (2015) “Database Albertina – Gold Edition”. Praha: Bisnode Česká republika, a.s. DOI
- Blažková, I. and Chmelíková, G. (2014) “Market Concentration as a Precondition for Higher Competitiveness of the Czech Food Industry”, INPROFORUM: Investment Decision-Making in the Period of Economic Recovery, November 6-7, University of South Bohemia in České Budějovice, pp. 121-126. ISBN 978-80-7394-484-1. DOI
- Boehlje, M., Roucan-Kane, M. and Bröring, S. (2011) “Future agribusiness challenges: Strategic uncertainty, innovation and structural change”, International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 53-82. ISSN 1096-7508. DOI
- Clarke, R., Davies, S., Dobson, P. and Waterson, M. (2002) “Buyer power and competition in European food retailing”. Edward Elgar Publishing, Cheltenham, UK, 220 p. ISBN 1-84064-685-3. DOI
- Čechura, L., Žáková Kroupová Z. and Hockmann, H. (2015) “Market Power in the European Dairy Industry”, AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 39-47. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI
- Daniels, P. et al. (2008) “An Introduction to Human Geography: Issues for the 21st Century”. Pearson Education Ltd., Harlow, 544 p. ISBN 978-0-13-205684-7. DOI
- De la Fuente, A. (2000) “Convergence Across Countries and Regions: Theory and Empirics”. CEPR Discussion Paper No. 2465. ISSN 0265-8003. DOI
- Dobson, P. W., Waterson, M. and Davies, S. W. (2003) “The patterns and implications of increasing concentration in European food retailing”, Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 54, No. 1, pp. 111-125. ISSN 1477-9552. DOI 10.1111/j.1477-9552.2003.tb00053.x.
- Dries, L., Reardon, T. and Swinnen, J. F. M. (2004) “The rapid rise of supermarkets in Central and Eastern Europe: Implications for the agrifood sector and rural development”. Development policy review, Vol. 22, No. 5, pp. 525-556. ISSN 1467-7679. DOI 10.1111/j.1467-7679.2004.00264.x.
- MacDonald, J. M. and Korb, P. (2011) “Agricultural Contracting Update: Contracts in 2008”, EIB-72, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Econ. Res. Serv., 35 p. [Online]. Available: http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstream/101279/2/EIB72.pdf [Accessed: 16 June 2015]. DOI
- McCorriston, S. (2002) “Why Should Imperfect Competition Matter to Agricultural Economists?”, European Review of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 349-372. ISSN 1464-3618. DOI 10.1093/eurrag/29.3.349.
- Ministry of Agriculture of the Czech Republic (2008) “Panorama of the food industry 2007 – in Czech (Panorama potravinářského průmyslu 2007)”, Ministry of Agriculture, Prague, p. 108. [Online]. Available: http://eagri.cz/public/web/mze/potraviny/publikace-a-dokumenty/panorama- potravinarskeho-prumyslu/panorama-potrav-prumyslu-2007.html [Accessed: 23 March 2015]. DOI
- Ministry of Agriculture of the Czech Republic (2015) “Panorama of the food industry 2014 – in Czech. (Panorama potravinářského průmyslu 2014)”, Ministry of Agriculture, Prague, p. 76. [Online]. Available: http://eagri.cz/public/web/mze/potraviny/publikace-a-dokumenty/panorama- potravinarskeho-prumyslu/panorama-potravinarskeho-prumyslu-2013.html [Accessed: 10 June 2015]. DOI
- Reardon, T., Timmer, P., Barrett, C. B. and Berdgué, J. (2003) “The Rise of Supermarkets in Africa, Asia, and Latin America”, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 85, No. 5, pp. 1140–1146. ISSN 1467-8276. DOI 10.1111/j.0092-5853.2003.00520.x.
- Regmi, A. and Gehlhar, M. (2005) “New directions in global food markets”, AIB-794, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Econ. Res. Serv., p. 75. [Online]. Available: http://umr-moisa.cirad.fr/ content/download/5290/36277/version/1/file/New+directions+in+global+food+markets+2005-02. pdf [Accessed: 4 May 2015]. DOI
- Rogers, R.T. (2001) “Structural Change in U.S. Food Manufacturing, 1958-1997”, Agribusiness, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 3-32. ISSN 1520-6297. DOI 10.1002/1520-6297(200124)17:1<3::AID-AGR1001>3.0.CO;2-1.
- Řezbová, H. Maitah, M. and Sergienko, O. I. (2015) “EU Quota Sugar Market Concentration – the Main Drivers of EU Sugar Market”, AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, V ol. 7, No. 4, pp. 131-142. ISSN 1804-1930. DOI
- Saitone, T. L. and Sexton, R. J. (2010) “Product Differentiation and Quality in Food Markets: Industrial Organization Implications”, Annual Review of Resource Economics, Vol. 2, pp. 341-368. ISSN 1941-1340. DOI 10.1146/annurev.resource.050708.144154.
- Sala-i-Martin, X. (1996) “The classical approach to convergence analysis”, The Economic Journal, Vol. 106, No. 437, pp. 1019-1036. ISSN 1468-0297. DOI 10.2307/2235375.
- Setiawan, M., Emvalomatis, G. and Lansink, A. O. (2012) “Industrial concentration and price- cost margin of the Indonesian food and beverages sector”, Applied Economics, Vol. 44, No. 29, pp. 3805-3814. ISSN 1466-4283. DOI 10.1080/00036846.2011.581220.
- Sexton, R. J. (2012) “Market Power, Misconceptions and Modern Agricultural Markets”, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 95, No. 2, pp. 209-219. ISSN 1467-8276. DOI 10.1093/ajae/aas102.
- Shervani, T. A., Frazier, G. and Challagalla, G. (2007) “The moderating influence of firm market power on the transaction cost economics model: an empirical test in a forward channel integration context”, Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 28, No. 6, pp. 635-652. ISSN 1097-0266. DOI 10.1002/smj.585.
- Swinnen, J. F. and Maertens, M. (2007) “Globalization, privatization, and vertical coordination in food value chains in developing and transition countries”. Agricultural economics, Vol. 37, No. 1, pp. 89-102. ISSN 1574-0862. DOI 10.1111/j.1574-0862.2007.00237.x.
- Swinnen, J. F. M. and Vandeplas, A. (2010) “Market power and rents in global supply chains”. Agricultural Economics, Vol. 41, No. s1, pp. 109-120. ISSN 1574-0862. DOI 10.1111/j.1574-0862.2010.00493.x.
- U. S. Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission (2010) “Horizontal Merger Guidelines”. p. 34. [Online]. Available: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/atr/legacy/2010/08/19/hmg- 2010.pdf [Accessed: 17 June 2015]. DOI
- Viscusi, W. K., Harrington, J. E. and Vernon, J. M. (2005) “Economics of Regulation and Antitrust”, MIT press, 927 p. ISBN-13: 978-0-262-22075-0. DOI
- Zemplinerová, A. and Stibal, J. (1994) “Evolution and Efficiency of Concentration: Manufacturing Industries in the Czech Economy 1989-1992”. CERGE-EI Working Paper Series, No. 52, p. 55. [Online]. Available: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1558098 [Accessed: 20 June 2013]. DOI